Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Sick Recovery

I have a return visit to the Ear, Nose and Throat doctor today. (I went last week to have a "blockage" removed from my right ear. Today is the follow-up)

The physician's assistant I am seeing suggested I visit every 6 months to check my ears. This is her solution to the fact that my ears get clogged every 6-8 years. Is this efficient health care? Is a 6 month "preventative" visit really justified?



That seems to me to be the problem with our health care system. Doctors are paid based on the treatments they provide not the outcomes they facilitate. Insurance companies make money the more claims they deny. (I had to fight an insurance company 10 years ago and only after threatening them to the state insurance comissioner did they pay up.)

I've always thought basic health care should not be for profit. Health care is a right, and making huge profits off of people's illnesses is to me unethical. For those worried about rationing, they can pay up for a Cadillac health plan that is more generous with benefits. I am for a public option health plan that covers everyone. The GOP is deathly afraid of the public health insurance because people will vote Democratic when it comes to governing their health benefits.

A resolution to rising health care costs is one of President Obama's top priorities. He is right that slowing the rising costs of health care are key to a robust recovery. His plan for Congress to pass a National Health Care bill for him to sign by the fall is the right timing as the robust recovery will begin following its passage. Hopefully the plan will include incentives for new discovery and treatments that will spark innovation in the health care sector (especially biotech) and put a floor under the Obama Econmic Boom.

If President Obama is unsuccessful in getting Congress to reign in in health care costs, we will have an enemic recovery. If a health care plan passes, its a sign we are on our way to a healthy recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment